FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Shigehiro Nakajima, referred to as FUJIFILM hereafter), announced that it has completed the acquisition of Kalon Biotherapeutics, LLC (College Station, TX, the U.S., referred to as Kalon), a biopharmaceutical* contract manufacturing organization** (CMO hereafter) having expertise in vaccine manufacturing on December 8,2014, and FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies Texas, LLC (FDBT) started to operate.
On October 22, 2014, FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies U.S.A., Inc. (FDBU), a FUJIFILM subsidiary and a biopharmaceutical CMO, signed an Interest Purchase Agreement, with the owners of Kalon: the State of Texas, acting by and through the Office of the Governor, and The Texas A&M University System*** (TAMUS). Based on the Interest Purchase Agreement, FDBU acquired 49% of the total membership interests in Kalon and appointed a majority of Kalon’s board members from Fujifilm Group. Thereafter, FDBU plans to increase its interest share up to 100% based on certain milestones set forth in the Interest Purchase Agreement.
FUJIFILM held the acquisition Closing Ceremony and celebrated the new start as FDBT at the George H.W. Bush Library in College Station, Texas, the U.S., on December 18 (local time).
FDBT employs world class technologies for robust, high containment manufacturing*4, thereby enabling safe, stable manufacture of vaccines to be used as public medical countermeasures against threats such as pandemic influenza, Ebola and Anthrax. Additionally, Kalon utilizes state-of-the-art mobile clean rooms (MCRs) featuring high containment, compactness and mobility. The MCRs enable concurrent manufacturing of several types of vaccines. Moreover, these MCRs are suitable not only for vaccines, but also for all kinds of biopharmaceuticals, including antibodies, and meet the growing demand for high-variety low-volume manufacturing.
FUJIFILM entered biopharmaceutical CMO business by acquiring FDBU and FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies UK Limited (FDBK) from Merck & Co., Inc*5 in 2011 and has been expanding their businesses through the partnership with Mitsubishi Corporation, who has extensive experiences in the pharmaceutical business.
FUJIFILM intends to expand its biopharmaceutical business by establishing one-stop services for the wide variety of needs for vaccine manufacturing, combining Kalon’s expertise and the already-available high-end technologies of microbial culture (pAVEwayTM), mammalian cell culture (ApolloTM) and insect cell culture.
- * Biopharmaceutical: Pharmaceutical products manufactured through biological process, which usually functions differently from small molecule drugs. It includes various products such as vaccine, insulin, growth hormone, antibodies, etc.
- ** Contract Manufacturing Organization: An organization which provides contract services to the pharmaceutical industry. Its services range from early cell line development to process development, stability study, manufacturing of clinical materials, and commercial production, etc.
- *** One of the largest systems of higher education in the United States, with a statewide network of 11 universities, including flagship, Texas A&M University and ten regional universities across the state. Additionally, the A&M System provides service and education to the people of Texas through seven state agencies, two service units and a system administration office.
- *4 The facilities are able to comply up to BSL-3 (Biosafety Level) containment, which is in the top-tier level as a facility for commercial use.
- *5 Merck & Co., Inc is known as MSD outside the U.S.
Outline of FDBT
| ||FDBT |
|Name ||FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies Texas,LLC |
|Foundation ||February 25, 2011 |
|Location ||College Station, Texas, U.S.A. |
|President & CEO ||John Foy |
|Shareholders ||FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies Texas, LLC 49% |
The Texas A&M University System 29.6%
The State of Texas, Acting Through the Office of the Governor 21.4%
Outline of FDBU / FDBK
| ||FDBU ||FDBK |
|Name ||FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies USA.,Inc. ||FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies UK Limited |
|Foundation ||1994 ||1996 |
|Location ||101 J. Morris Commons Lane, |
Morrisville, NC 27560, United States
|Belasis Avenue, Billingham, TS23 1LH, |
|CEO ||Steve Bagshaw ||Steve Bagshaw |
|Shareholders ||FUJIFILM Holdings America Corporation (80%) |
Mitsubishi Corporation (20%)
|FUJIFILM Corporation (80%) |
Mitsubishi Corporation (20%)
For inquiries on information in this media release, contact:
<dl class="definitionListB01"><dt>Media Contact:</dt><dd>FUJIFILM Corporation
Corporate Communications Division
TEL: +81-3-6271-2000</dd><dt>Other:</dt><dd>Pharmaceutical Products Division