At a Glance
Fujifilm LTO Ultrium 6 media is the latest midrange data storage product to use Fujifilm's advanced NANOCUBIC coating process, which incorporates three Fujifilm proprietary technologies:
- Nano-particle Technology: Finer particles (30% smaller than metal particle used on LTO-5)
- Nano-dispersion Technology: Uniform particle dispersion by applying high-dispersed binder.
- Nano-coating Technology: Improved ultra-thin layer coating to realize an even thinner magnetic layer.
Excellent read/write property: By adopting Barium Ferrite, Fujifilm LTO Ultrium 6 cartridge has higher coercivity, lower noise compared to older generations. Over time, the recording head of a well-used drives start to wear down leading to a drop in performance. However, since Fujifilm’s LTO Ultrium 6 cartridge with Barium Ferrite, from a system performance point of view, has more margin compared to metal particle tapes (measured using Fuji manufactured tapes), it can be read/written more accurately on these older drives.
- Long Archival Life： Barium Ferrite is chemically stable (already oxidized) and does not easily get demagnetized by outside energy. Therefore magnetic tape using Barium Ferrite is said to have a longer archival life of more than 30year based on Fujifilm’s acceleration tests.
- Larger Cartridge Memory: Fujifilm LTO Ultrium 6 cartridges offer more space to record specific cartridge information, with the introduction of a 16K Cartridge Memory (IC chip). This feature allows the user to record mount history and easily monitor the cartridge health.
- Compatibility: LTO Generation 6 hardware will be backward read/write compatible with LTO Ultrium 5 data cartridges and backward read compatible with LTO Ultrium 4 data cartridges.
As with the previous generation, LTO Ultrium 6 hardware will incorporate the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) and Linear Tape File System (LTFS) dual partitioning functionality.
NANOCUBIC thin-film coating process to reach the higher capacity and quality levels currently only found in enterprise-class systems.
The LTO technology is a powerful, scalable, adaptable open tape format developed and continuously enhanced to help address the growing demands of data protection in the midrange to enterprise-class server environments. In addition, LTO Ultrium 5 technology offers AES 256-bit encryption capability that increases the performance value of tape storage in terms of security, and reinforces its importance as a reliable high-performance storage solution.