FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno) today, have released new firmware updates for all three GFX digital cameras, the “FUJIFILM GFX 50S” (“GFX 50S”), “FUJIFILM GFX 50R” (“GFX 50R”) and “FUJIFILM GFX100” (“GFX100”).
Over three years after the launch of the GFX 50S, Fujifilm is offering for free, a major firmware upgrade for the GFX System bringing substantial advances in image quality, autofocus performance and expandability, transforming them into completely new cameras. The GFX range of high-end cameras has been chosen by numerous professional photographers, because of their astonishing image quality made possible by the Large Format sensor*1, which is 70% larger than a 35mm full-frame sensor, and Fujifilm’s color reproduction technology nurtured over the period of more than 80 years.
*1 An image sensor that measures 55mm diagonally (43.8mm x 32.9mm), with the area approx. 1.7 times that of a 35mm sensor
1. Enhanced image reproduction
- The number of Film Simulation modes for all three models have been increased. The new firmware will add “CLASSIC Neg” mode, simulating color negative film traditionally chosen for snapshots, to all three cameras. The GFX100 will also receive the “ETERNA Bleach Bypass” mode, which simulates the film processing technique of the same name, and the GFX 50S and GFX 50R will receive the “ETERNA” mode, which replicates the colors and tonality of Fujifilm’s motion picture film.
- The “Smooth Skin Effect,” featured on the GFX100, will be added to the GFX 50S and GFX 50R, smoothing the appearance of human skin, ideal for portraiture.
- The “Color Chrome Blue,” which adds depth to color and tonal reproduction in blue skies and other primarily blue subjects, will be added to the GFX100.
2. Improving autofocus performance
- The GFX100 will now be able to quickly and accurately use phase-detection AF in low-light conditions down to -5EV. The new firmware will also add Low Light Priority AF-S mode to the GFX 50S and GFX 50R, which increases the time the autofocus has to work, improving AF accuracy in low light.
- The firmware will enhance Face / Eye AF performance for all three models. Face / eye detection accuracy and stability are improved when shooting groups of people, which makes portrait photography easier than ever before.
- The Auto mode will be added to focus bracketing in all three models. You can now specify the start and end points and shooting interval, and the camera will automatically determine the number of frames and steps required.
3. Expanding functionality
- In all three models, the new firmware will allow users to adjust exposure settings (shutter speed, aperture value, ISO sensitivity, exposure compensation) from a computer when shooting stills and using software that supports some tether-shooting functions.
- In all three models, more photo-editing applications will support the import of rating information, assigned in camera.
- For the GFX 50S and GFX 50R, the maximum number of photos that can be saved in each folder on an SD card will increase 10 fold from 999 to 9,999.
4. Gimbal / Drone compatibility
- When using the GFX100 with compatible Gimbal / Drone that supports these functions, users will be able to start / stop video recording, specify exposure settings for video (shutter speed, aperture value, ISO sensitivity and exposure compensation), and make manual focus adjustments.*2 Guilin FeiYu Electronic Technology Co. Ltd., Shenzhen Gudsen Technology Co., Ltd. Technology Co., Ltd., SZ DJI Technology Co.,Ltd. and ZHIYUN (alphabetical order) have announced their plans to offer compatible products.
*2 Functions that can be controlled vary from Gimbal to Gimbal.
- video data output to ATOMOS NINJA V field monitor-recorder*7
5. Features RAW video data output to ATOMOS NINJA V field monitor-recorder*7
Ninja V mounted on the GFX100
- GFX100 will be able to output maximum 4K/29.97P*8 12bit RAW video data using HDMI to an ATOMOS NINJA V, in Apple ProRes RAW. New firmware for NINJA V will be released by ATOMOS. RAW video data gives maximum flexibility for exposure adjustment or color grading in post-production for professional videographers. Also, simultaneous output of RAW with Film Simulation / F-Log / Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) is also available.
*7 GFX100 can record Apple ProRes RAW only with ATOMOS NINJA V (as of June 30th 2020).
*8 Compatible with 4K (3840×2160) 29.97P/25P/24P/23.98P. Not compatible with FHD.
List of compatible models: