FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Shigehiro Nakajima) is proud to announce the launch of the FUJIFILM X70, a premium compact digital camera featuring a new FUJINON 18.5mm*1F2.8 lens suitable for a range of applications from landscapes to snapshots. The camera, which will be available in February 2016, features an APS-C sized X-Trans™ CMOS II sensor and EXR Processor II image processing engine.
The X70 bears all the hallmarks of the range combining a simple manual operation with superior image quality and versatile picture-taking functions. The X70 is the first X-Series model to offer a touchscreen display that rotates 180 degrees enabling users to shoot from up high, down low and capture selfies.
Key features of the X70
New FUJINON 18.5mm F2.8 lens for a wide range of shooting conditions from landscapes to snapshots!
By using the optical design from the X100T, it has been possible to develop a compact, high quality wide-angle lens in a smaller, thinner body. The single focal length lens distributes light evenly across the frame to produce a high-resolution image from the centre to the edges.
High-quality finish and easy operation encourage creativity
Weighing approximately 340g*2, the X70 is the lightest X-Series camera with an APS-C sized sensor. The top-plate features milled aluminium exposure compensation and shutter speed dials, making it easy to quickly access key features, while the aperture and focusing rings are also made from milled aluminium to help keep weight down. Apertures can be changed in 1/3 or 1 stop increments, plus the focusing ring doubles up as a control ring for quick access to a range of functions.
The X70 is also equipped with an Auto Mode Switch lever for selecting the fully automatic Advanced SR Auto mode. Once selected, the camera automatically chooses the optimum settings for great results on any scene.
Compact body with an APS-C sized X-Trans™ CMOS II*3 sensor and EXR Processor II image processing engine
Key technologies that deliver the high quality images unique to X-Series models have been compressed into a pocket-sized body. This includes the stunning colour reproduction technology, developed as a result of more than 80 years of photographic film research, and the unique Lens Modulation Optimiser (LMO) image processing technology that corrects optical defects such as diffraction to achieve edge-to-edge sharpness and a realistic three-dimensional effect.
On-sensor phase detection AF focuses in an ultra-fast 0.1 sec*4 and, thanks to the high-speed EXR Processor II image processor, the camera starts up in just 0.5sec*5, has a shutter time lag of 0.01sec and shooting interval of 0.5sec*6.
The first 180° tilting touchscreen LCD in an X-Series camera
The X70 features a touchscreen LCD; a first for the X-Series. Turning on the Touch Panel Settings enables Touch Shot and Focus Area Selection when shooting. During playback, intuitive smartphone-style operations including swipe, drag, pinch in/out, and double-tap scaling can be performed. By combining the Touch Shot function with the 180-degree tilt LCD, you can get even more creative. Place the camera on the ground and use Touch Shot for a child’s or pet’s eye view. The same function also makes it easier to shoot selfies.
Dedicated accessories to expand the world of the X70
Four dedicated optional accessories have been developed to make the X70 more versatile. The four include the BLC-X70 half leather case for protection and to provide an extra grip, the LH-X70 lens hood to cut down flare and ghosting, the VF-X21 optical viewfinder for those who prefer to frame images through a finder and the WCL-X70 wide conversion lens giving a 21mm view (35mm equivalent).
- *1 35mm format equivalent: 28mm.
- *2 Weight including battery and memory card.
- *3 X-Trans is a trademark or registered trademark of FUJIFILM Corporation.
- *4 Fujifilm research based on CIPA guidelines in High Performance mode as of January 2016.
- *5 In High Performance mode.
- *6 MF mode.
Main features of the X70
Function-driven FUJINON 18.5mm F2.8 lens
- Comprising seven elements in five groups, including two high-performance aspherical elements, the lens delivers highly detailed images with minimal aberrations, excellent sharpness and beautiful colour reproduction. FUJINON's unique HT-EBC coating has also been used to control flare and ghosting.
- Using a non-collapsible lens design and minimal lens length keeps size down and eliminates telescoping of the lens when powered up. The X70 is ready to start shooting the moment the user switches it on.
- The 9-blade aperture diaphragm combined with the large F2.8 aperture and high-quality optics lets users take photos with beautiful bokeh effects.
- A close focusing distance of approx. 10cm*7 lets users enjoy all the benefits of macro photography
*7 Distance from the front of the lens surface to the subject.
Easy operation and a premium finish
- By using smooth aluminium for the body and shutter speed and exposure compensation dials on the top-plate, the X70 has a premium look and feel without being too heavy.
- The aperture can be adjusted by 1/3 stop increments using the aperture ring, while up to ±3 stops of exposure compensation is available on the top-plate dial.
- It is also equipped with an Auto Mode Switch lever for selecting the fully-automatic Advanced SR Auto mode. In this mode, the camera automatically chooses the optimum settings for a given scene to make shooting effortless.
- The X70 is equipped with eight Fn buttons, each one of which is customisable. Further user customisation is offered via the Q Button on the back of the camera: all 16 functions can be chosen according to the user's preference.
- The camera is designed to allow the photographer to keep their left hand on the lens’s aperture ring with their right hand operating the shutter speed and exposure compensation dials on the top-plate. This allows instant changing of settings to meet the photographer’s needs.
- The lens barrel features a control ring in addition to the aperture ring. Depending on the shooting mode, various functions are automatically assigned to the control ring making them quicker to access and change. Functions such as ISO sensitivity, Film Simulation, white balance, continuous shooting and the Digital Tele-converter can be assigned by pushing the control ring setting button on the left side of the body.
- The X70 features a bright, highly detailed 3.0-inch monitor with 1.04 million dots that has a wide viewing angle and can be tilted 180°. The tilting screen is useful for shooting from a low-angle for children and pets, from a high-angle above large crowds or obstacles, or for capturing self-portraits.
Perfect your photos with Film Simulation modes and other creative features
- The X70's 16.3-megapixel X-Trans™ CMOS II sensor controls moiré and false colours with the X-Trans™ colour filter, with its random arrangement of RGB pixels negating the need for a low-pass filter. Combined with the EXR Processor II processing engine, the camera delivers images with impressive levels of sharpness and low noise.
- Fujifilm’s unique colour reproduction technology, created through years of researching photographic films, helps reproduce warm skin tones, bright blue skies and rich greens.
- A high ISO setting of 51,200*8 has been made possible by optimising noise reduction processing. Noise is reduced even at these ultra-high sensitivities, reproducing deep blacks.
- Diffraction*9 is corrected by the unique Lens Modulation Optimiser which delivers superb detail even when the aperture is set to F16.
- The X70 features CLASSIC CHROME Film Simulation mode, which delivers muted tones and deep colours. Users can choose from ten other modes that simulate the effects of traditional Fujifilm films. These include colour reversal film effects (Velvia/PROVIA/ASTIA), professional colour negative film (PRO Neg.Std / PRO Neg.Hi), monochrome filters (MONOCHROME, Ye filter, R filter and G filter) and SEPIA.
- Advanced Filter functions are also available on the X70. Users can choose from eight different artistic effects:
- Pop Colour - Emphasises contrast and colour saturation.
- Toy Camera - Creates shaded borders as if you were taking a photo on a toy camera.
- Miniature - Adds top and bottom blur for a diorama or miniature effect.
- Dynamic Tone - Creates a fantasy effect by boosting tones.
- Partial Colour - Retains one selected original colour and changes the rest of the photo black & white. Colours can be selected from red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple.
- High Key - Enhances brightness and reduces contrast to lighten tonal reproduction.
- Low Key - Creates uniformly dark tones with few highlight areas.
- Soft Focus - Creates a look that is soft throughout the whole image.
- The Multiple Exposure function offers users the chance to combine two separate subjects into one photo, perfect for adding people into images.
- The camera's aspect ratio can be selected from 3:2, 16:9, and 1:1 (square) to accommodate a wide range of photographic styles.
- The camera also features an ADVANCED SR AUTO mode, which recognises faces and every scene type before automatically optimizing the focus, exposure, ISO and other settings.
- Interval timer shooting for time lapse photography is available with intervals of one second to 24 hours for up to 999 frames.
- The camera has a completely silent electronic shutter that is capable of exposures up to 1/32,000sec. Photos with a shallow depth-of-field can now be shot with the aperture wide open. As there are no mechanically operated parts, candid shots of animals and sleeping babies can be captured easier.
- Other features include a Digital Split Image for precise manual focusing, and Focus Peaking, which highlights the part of the scene that is in focus. This can be highlighted in white, red or blue, providing a focusing guide even when photographing a scene that's tricky to focus on.
- *8 During expanded sensitivity.
- *9 When a fine image that should be sharp is blurred when shooting by stopping down the aperture.
Intuitive operation with the touchscreen display
- The X70’s touchscreen panel, the first in an X-Series model, enables comfortable and intuitive use. Turning the Touch Panel Settings on allows the following operations during shooting and playback modes:
- Shooting Modes
- Focus Area Selection: Move the focus point to the chosen position by tapping the LCD monitor.
- Touch Shot: Touch to focus on a specific point, then take the picture.
- Playback Modes
- Swipe Movement : Swiping a finger across the screen scrolls through the images, one after another.
- Double-Tap Enlargement: Tapping the screen twice will enlarge the image, centering on the active focus point when the images was taken.
- Drag: Moving a finger across the screen when an image is enlarged will move it around the frame.
- Pinch out: Placing two fingers on the screen and widening the distance between them enlarges the image.
- Pinch in: While the image being displayed is enlarged, placing two fingers on the screen and narrowing the distance between them reduces the image size*10.
*10 Cannot be zoomed out further than the original image.
- All the touchscreen functions are disabled when the Touch Panel Settings are turned off.
Digital Tele-converter*11 with three settings
- One body, three lenses. The X70’s fixed lens offers a 28mm angle of view (35mm equivalent) but, thanks to the first Digital Tele-converter in an X-Series camera, users can also select 35mm and 50mm options. Settings for the Digital Tele-converter can be changed within the menu, or on the control ring on the lens barrel, enabling users to quickly check the image on the LCD before shooting.
*11 The image quality may degrade when using the Digital Tele-converter function. Phase detection AF is only effective in the center of the screen. Contrast AF is enabled for the rest of the screen.
AF system with Zone and Wide/Tracking modes for effortless capture of moving subjects
- The AF system offers the standard 49-point Single Point mode for high speed and precision focusing, as well as the new Zone and Wide/Tracking modes that use a larger 77-point area to capture moving subjects.
- Zone mode allows users to select a 3x3, 5x3 or 5x5 zone out of the 77-point AF area. During AF-C*12, the camera continually tracks a subject, positioned at the centre of the zone. The centrally-positioned 3x3 and 5x3 zones deliver fastest focusing thanks to the on-sensor phase detection AF.
- The Wide/Tracking mode is a combination of the Wide mode (during AF-S), in which the camera automatically identifies and tracks the area in focus across the 77-point AF area, and the predictive Tracking mode (during AF-C), which uses the entire 77-point area to continue tracking a subject. This feature enables continuous focusing on a subject that is moving up and down, left and right or towards and away from the camera.
- The Single Point mode divides the focus area into smaller sections to accurately determine the distance to the subject for greater focusing precision. The working range of the on-sensor phase detection AF works at high speed even in low light conditions or on a low contrast subject.
- The camera features Eye Detection AF, which automatically detects and focuses on human eyes. The function allows you to easily focus on the eyes even in difficult conditions – when shooting a portrait with a very wide aperture to obtain strong bokeh effects, for example.
- The Auto Macro function automatically activates the Macro mode while maintaining AF speed, eliminating any need to press the Macro button to capture a close-up. This allows you to re-assign the Macro button to a different function.
- A new optimised AF algorithm delivers a smoother and more natural AF action during video recording.
- With the combination of the phase detection AF data and subject motion predictive AF, the camera is capable of continuous shooting with AF-C at up to approx. 8.0fps.
- *12 AF system continuously focuses while pressing the shutter button halfway.
- *13 When set to AF-C and CH, the focus area is fixed to the range of Central 3x3 ("Single Point" mode), or Central 5x3 ("Zone" / "Wide / Tracking” mode).
Full HD video with the X-Trans™ CMOS II sensor
- 60fps smooth Full HD movies can be shot with the X70. 50fps, 30fps, 25fps and 24fps frame rates are also available.
- Film Simulation modes, including the latest CLASSIC CHROME, and detailed white balance setting is also possible.
- Exposure can be set manually during movie shooting. Aperture, shutter speed*14 and ISO sensitivity can be changed enabling movies to be shot using an exposure of the user's preference.
- High-speed, high-precision focusing is made possible by activating Intelligent Hybrid AF, which automatically switches between phase-detection AF or contrast AF according to the scene, even during movie shooting. Manual focus is also possible.
- Six types of scene recognition functions can be used so that users can capture beautiful movies.
- A high bit rate of 36Mbps enables high definition capture of delicate movements.
*14 Aperture and shutter speed can be changed during shooting. Only shutter speeds faster than the set frame rate can be set.
Built in Wi-Fi for shooting from your smartphone or tablet devices*15
- By downloading the free FUJIFILM Camera Remote app to your smartphone or tablet device, users can use the Remote Control function, which allows a wealth of control, even from a distance. This functionality is great for a wide variety of shots, including group photos, self-portraits and animals in their natural habitat.
- Photos and videos can be sent to devices such as your smartphone with an easy one-touch operation. Pictures and videos on the camera can be browsed, selected, and imported using your smartphone, all without the hassle of inputting an ID or password. It is also possible to add location information acquired by the smartphone or tablet to the image.
- Photos can be sent directly from the camera to the instax SHARE Smartphone Printer for instant instax prints.
- Wi-Fi® Transfer*16 is supported, enabling wireless backup of the data to a computer*17.
- *15 Android™, smartphone and table devices, iPhone / iPad.
- *16 Wi-Fi® is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance®.
- *17 Requires you install the free dedicated software “FUJIFILM PC AutoSave” on your computer.
Premium accessory line-up
- Leather Case BLC-X70
A stylish, authentic leather case that has a wonderfully tactile feel that perfectly suits the X70's design. With the X70 snugly protected, you can change batteries without removing the case. A matching leather hand strap and protective cloth are included.
- Lens Hood LH-X70
Precision milled from metal, the lens hood and adapter ring will be available as a set. The adapter ring is also compatible with commercially sold 49mm filters.
- External optical viewfinder VF-X21
Attaches to the top-plate mounting shoe above the optical axis of the lens, the optical finder provides a bright frame for the 28mm and 21mm angles of view*18 (35mm-format equivalent). Also includes a suede case for protection.
*18 Effective angle-of-view when the WCL-X70 wide-conversion lens is mounted.
- Wide Conversion Lens WCL-X70*19
The WCL-X70 is a dedicated wide conversion lens that multiples the fixed focal length by approx. 0.8x, converting it to 21mm (35mm format equivalent). Not only does this lens emphasise perspective, it is also perfect for capturing a broader view such as when shooting in tight spots or landscapes. (Expected release in Spring 2016)
*19 The X100 Series dedicated WCL-X100 and TCL-X100 conversion lenses cannot be used on the X70. A firmware upgrade is planned for public release with the launch of the WCL-X70 - please make sure you upgrade to the latest firmware.
UK AVAILABILITY AND PRICING:
The FUJIFILM X70 will be on sale in the UK from February 2016. It will be available in both Black and Silver versions. The Suggested Retail Price is as follows:
X70 Black and Silver: £549
For UK MEDIA ENQUIRIES/REVIEW SAMPLES please contact:
FUJIFILM UK Digital Camera Press Office
Tel: 07557 140268
For UK CONSUMER ENQUIRIES please contact:
FUJIFILM UK Digital Camera Customer Service
Tel: 0344 553 2321
FUJIFILM Corporation and its group companies develop, produce and market products in the Imaging Solutions business (colour films, digital cameras, photofinishing equipment and colour paper, chemicals and services for photofinishing) and Information Solutions business (equipment and materials for medical diagnostics and life science, equipment and materials for graphic arts, flat panel display materials, recording media, optical devices, electronic materials and inkjet materials). The company employs more than 80,000 people worldwide, with 282 subsidiaries all over the world. Uniquely placed to be a market leader in digital imaging, Fujifilm develops and manufactures its own sensors, lenses and processing technology. In addition to its production plants and R&D operations in Japan, the company has key manufacturing facilities in Europe and the USA for core products such as colour film, colour paper, single use cameras and CTP printing plates, and has further factories in Brazil and China. It has a global turnover in excess of ¥114 billion (around £795 million). In the UK, Fujifilm has been supplying the imaging, printing and graphics industries, as well as consumers, professional and enthusiast photographers, with high quality, innovative products and services for over 30 years. Fujifilm UK currently employs more than 390 people and is one of the country's most popular photographic and imaging brands.