Securely INTEGRATES MORE specialties, more devices, and more data than any other VNA
In May 2015, FUJIFILM announced completion of its acquisition of TeraMedica Incorporated. This acquisition gave birth to the Synapse VNA product and today allows Fujifilm to offer the market a leading Vendor Neutral Archive (VNA).
With over 16 years of industry-leading experience, our TeraMedica Division remains independently focused on advancing VNA technology and healthcare interoperability while also leveraging our clinical capabilities. As the foundation layer of the FUJIFILM Medical Systems comprehensive imaging portfolio, Synapse VNA provides the industry's leading image-management solution.
Why Choose Synapse VNA
- Improved Patient Care: By centralising the storage and indexing of imaging studies and clinical content between PACS, departments, and facilities, clinicians can have access to additional relevant patient infor¬mation regardless of where those images, pictures or videos were taken.
- Provides Enterprise Data Management Policies: Standardised enterprise data manage¬ment rules greatly decrease storage costs and reduce legal liabilities using institutional data purge policies or data tier policies (hardware/ compression rules).
- Proven Track Record. TeraMedica VNA was created when the Mayo Clinic went to market and could not find a system that could store multi ology images (that system, our first install had its first line of code written in 2001 and then went live in 2003 is still running now with over 2 billion images ingested). Teramedica started as a VNA company not a document management company or Radiology Archive, that core focus has not changed from day 1.
- DICOM and non-DICOM native state. Synapse VNA allows you to choose whether to store your non-DICOM data natively or, alternatively, to DICOM wrap the data. A majority of our customers elect to store their non-DICOM data in its native format. The advantages of doing so include enabling users to use enterprise viewers, including Synapse Mobility, without experiencing performance delays while unwrapping non-DICOM data; allowing originating applications access to the original unchanged files. Click here for more on the benefits of storing data in its native format.
- Unrivalled Flexibility in the Range of Tools for Data Ingestion into the VNA (Clinical Workflow Connectors). Clinical Workflow Connectors are the ways in which content can be captured from clinical areas, indexed via patient meta-data and stored in the VNA. Synapse VNA includes a browser based import tool which can be launched from any desktop, or initiated directly within your EHR to capture non-DICOM content from anywhere in your organisation. Additional tools include HL7 embedded files, shared directory scanner(s) and DLL APIs. We also have a mobile application which can capture photos and content right at the point of care, replacing current camera to flash drive to shared drive workflow.
- FUJIFILM has a unique advantage when it comes to connecting clinical areas to a VNA as we are a provider of Radiology, Cardiology, Endoscopy, and Point of Care ultrasound sending devices. We have leveraged this experience in our deployment of Synapse VNA to ensure the optimal possible workflow and content capture across an organisation.
- Sheer Scale of Other Ologies. We have actual experience of connecting to and ingesting data from 30 plus departments (this is a 2 way activity so the archive is not just a store but an active store that files are viewed from on a regular basis (As an example, The Mayo Clinic retrieves 3 to 4 million images from the VNA every business day).
- Vendor Neutral at its core! Both Hardware and Clinical system Neutral, you can buy our VNA regardless of which PACS or other clinical systems you choose
- Affordable Scalability using SmartStore (patented) technology. Synapse VNA uses the SmartStore technology to create logically segmented pools of data within a single database, thus mapping clinical data to your organisational structure and allowing you to grow your VNA’s scope in the most cost effective manner
- Stable Ownership. Teramedica Incorporated was stable before the Fujifilm acquisition and is now part of our core Medical Informatics offering, benefiting from Fujifilm’s global Research and Development initiative which sees over $4M USD invested every day.
- Facilitates Completion of EMR/EHR: Placing more information into an EMR/EHR context allows broader distribution of content to physicians and clinicians. This results in greater acceptance of the EMR/EHR by both physicians and allied staff.
- Optimises IT Infrastructure: Allows IT to select best tools (PACS, workstation, etc.) for clinicians to meet job requirements. Synapse VNA reduces difficulties involved in migrating large volumes of image studies. In addition, reducing vendor dependence can decrease new or replace¬ment PACS expenditures
- Reduced Interface Costs: Using a shared archive platform to store clinical data and distribute it, IT management can reduce complex system interfaces to the EMR/EHR, enterprise informa-tion systems (EMPI, patient registration, etc.), and departmental information systems (RIS, CVIS, etc.) within the enterprise.
- Improves Availability of Data: A centralised image archive allows for an easier and less expensive implementation of highly available and/or business continuity data storage management. Additionally, robust and intelligent software management layers allow for ease of management allowing the right users the right access to the right patient information.
- Enhanced Clinical Information Life Cycle Management: Managing clinical data based on its clinical value over time in a tiered clinically-aware archive improves availability of information (via dif¬ferent QOS tiers) and reduces storage management costs (using intelligent compression or purging techniques).
- Creates Economies of Scale: Reduces the silos of clinical image data through implementation of a shared institutional infrastructure. This can reduce storage management costs—and improve data security (HIPAA compliance) by using standard IT policies and principles for managing enterprise data.
- Supports open standards and is hardware agnostic: The Synapse VNA is a software platform that easily conforms to open standards as well as empowering organisations to leverage the latest advancements with Virtual Server and Storage Architectures.
- Creates an Infrastructure for Data Mining and Outcomes Research: By connecting data across the enterprise, Synapse VNA will allow for broad-based analysis of clinical data usage patterns. This information can be used to potentially reduce costs and improve efficiencies at the department, facility, or enterprise level.
Watch Fujifilm's VNA solution overview
Video link: www.youtube.com/watch
Learn more about our VNA and the TeraMedica Division of Fujifilm
Fujifilm’s Synapse VNA reaches Milestone of 1000 Installations Worldwide